HomeAboutContactCalendar

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Teacher's Pay Teachers

There has always been a discussion as to whether teacher's should share their materials or if it is ethical for teachers to sell what they make.  I thought long and hard about it and then my husband lost his job.  I knew I had to do something to add to our income until he could find a job and bring our income back to where it was.  We have two children and one is in college.  The bills keep coming no matter how our lives change.
I decided to take what I make everyday for my classroom and sell it on TPT.  I am proud to say that there are teachers out there willing to pay for my work.  I don't charge much.  My items are between two and five dollars.  It's amazing how those small amounts add up. I doubt if I will ever replace my husbands income, but I'm proud to say I've made $2000 this quarter. This will pay for the apartment my daughter shares for almost the entire year.
If you need extra income you should really consider becoming a seller.  Click here and get started today.  It really is a good felling to know others appreciate your work.
 
Georgeanne
Kestner's Kreations

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Georgeanne!
    I always felt like I should share freely as well. My husband lost his job in March '09 and went back to work almost 18 months later, making 1/3 his previous salary. It has been rough at times, but I never felt like I could/should sell something I made. I like your idea of charging a nominal fee; it helps out the teachers who buy for a decent price yet helps you as well. You and your family are in my prayers. :)

    I guess I could sell my goldfish cracker patterns (large and small) and type up how we used them. I got the idea from a student teacher of a colleague, but made my own goldfish and decided to use the white board instead of a construction paper background...

    Oh, yeah, I came by to tell you YES! We do write on the desk with dry erase markers. It is messy and you need to use wipes to clean the desk periodically, but we do it. I don't do it if I don't have a fresh supply of wipes to clean the desk, and my students do have 2-sided dry erase boards with addition/subtraction facts on one side and a blank side. I just thought the dry erase boards might cause the children to knock off crackers during the place value activity... :)

    Melly<><

    Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    The Yellow Rocking Chair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your sales & don't let anyone talk you out of it or make you feel guilty for earning some extra income for what you do!!! I live & teach in the same small town where I went to school. 25 years out of high school and some of my best friends are still my friends from 7th grade. One is a doctor, one is a lawyer & one is an accountant.....we were all smart and in gifted, but I'm the one who picked "teacher" as my career. Could you imagine if we asked any one of those careers to give out free advice EACH AND EVERYDAY and to complete strangers? They would be out of business, yet we're suppose to give our knowledge away for free? I don't sell my items to teachers and students at my school, but if one of my items makes teaching easier for someone else, I'm more than happy to sell it to them! It is no different than when I use to walk into a Teacher Supply Store in 1989 {before the Internet was so accessible} and buy black line master books and idea books! My husband also made me feel better when I first started on TPT, he said, "No one is forcing the teachers to buy from you."
    Keep up the great work ~ it is helping your family and every teacher who is using it!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Fern. I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete